Goodmans houses a leading Canadian competition and foreign investment law practice that provides strategic advice to an international and Canadian client base.
The Goodmans team has deep and broad experience. We help translate the latest competition law developments – whether in Canada or abroad – into strategic advantages for our clients.
A significant portion of the team’s work is devoted to securing clearance under the Competition Act for large international and domestic mergers, including complex mergers that are subject to in-depth or “Phase II” investigations (including compliance with Supplementary Information Requests). The team also has extensive experience obtaining approval for foreign clients acquiring large Canadian companies under the Investment Canada Act (a law regulating foreign investment in Canada), including in cases involving national security and acquisitions by state-owned enterprises.
In addition to securing merger clearances, the team continues to be at the forefront of high-profile competition litigation matters in Canada. We regularly represent clients in contentious matters relating to the criminal and civil provisions of the Competition Act, including cartels and abuse of dominance matters. We also have significant experience representing defendants in the competition law class action cases, including the Canadian component of multi-national class actions.
We represent, or have recently represented:
- Rogers Communications Inc. in securing competition clearances for its C$20.5 Billion acquisition of Shaw Communications. (ongoing)
- Atlantic Lottery Corporation on a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada in respect to the dismissal of a class action relating to video lottery terminals, overturning 20 years of jurisprudence (including an earlier Supreme Court decision) regarding “waiver of tort”.
- Onex Corporation on the Competition Act and Canada Transportation Act approvals for its C$5 billion acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Newmont Corporation on the Competition Act and the Investment Canada Act approval for its US$10 billion merger with Goldcorp Inc.
- Altria Inc. on the Investment Canada Act approval for its C$2.4 billion investment in Cronos Group Inc.
- Cineplex Inc. on the competition law and foreign investment law aspects of its C$2.8 billion sale to Cineworld Group, plc.
- Essilor International S.A. on the Competition Act approval for its €46-billion combination with Luxottica Group S.p.A.
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA in the Competition Act approval for its US$3.6 billion acquisition of The Sun Products Corporation.
- Vancouver Airport Authority in the defence of abuse of dominance litigation brought by the Commissioner of Competition.
- Uber Canada Inc. and related companies in the defence of a class action alleging an unlawful price-fixing conspiracy between Uber and its driver-partners.