Martín Carrizosa heads the competition practice at prietocarrizosa, which includes another three specialists dedicated full-time to competition matters. The group handles behavioural and merger work, and works closely with the intellectual property arm of the firm. The firm announced in September that it would join forces with Spain’s Uría Menéndez and Chile’s Philippi Yrarrázaval Pulido & Brunner, to create a firm crossing the Spanish-speaking world, Philippi, prietocarrizosa & Uría.
That merger will not become final until 1 January 2015. In its last year as an independent firm, Carrizosa has worked for Grupo Argos and its electricity subsidiaries in their acquisition of a stake in Isagen, which is partly owned by the Colombian state. The team also represented Omnicom and Publicis on Colombian merger control matters and Eli Lilly in its acquisition of Novartis’s animal health business. On the behavioural side, Visa and Cementos Argos are clients.
Ricardo Riesco and Martín Carrizosa are the partners heading the competition practice at Philippi, Prietocarrizosa & Uría. The practice also includes another nine specialists dedicated full-time to competition matters, among whom Diego Cardona, Jorge Streeter and Guillermo Zavala have been ranked by Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500. The group deals with both M&A antitrust analysis and competition litigation, and works closely with the intellectual property area of the firm.
The firm has a significant client roster that includes Nokia Siemens Networks, Mexichem Group, Nestlé, Colombia Móvil, CMPC, Siemens AG, Goldman Sachs, EPM, Eli Lilly, Visa International Service Association, Cencosud, Quiñenco (Luksic Group), Enex/Shell, Alusa, Canal 13, Banco Santander, Samsung, and Grupo Prisa Radios, among others. Over the past year, the firm has added Pfizer Nutrition, Omnicom, Grupo Argos, L’Oréal, Grupo GTD and the Chilean Ministry of Energy, in addition to a further extensive set of competition law clients to the roster. The firm certainly boasts the largest and one of the busiest competition law practices in the region.
Avenida El Golf 40, 20th Floor, Las Condes
Tel: +56 2 2364 3700
Fax: +56 2 2364 3796
Carrera 9# 74-08
Tel: +571 326 8600
Fax: +571 326 8610
Calle 77B # 59-61
Tel: +575 369 4040
Fax: +575 369 4140
The competition team of Philippi, Prietocarrizosa & Uría is composed of attorneys who have studied at the most prestigious universities in both the U.S. and Europe, been part of government authorities, taught at the most relevant local universities, extensively written about competition issues, and who have broad, substantive experience and expertise in the development of competition law in Colombia, Chile, and the Andean region.
Our services in this area include:
- Preventive advice for companies acting in the most diverse sectors of the economy, aimed at them adopting internal programs to avoid competition contingencies;
- Advice and representation of companies with M&A antitrust analysis and control before local and international competition authorities;
- Representation of companies in administrative and judicial investigations and procedures related to alleged anticompetitive practices, including complaints by the competition authorities, complaints by private parties, cartel accusations, abuse of dominant position accusations and use of leniency programs, reaching out-of-court settlements with competition authorities and private parties, etc;
- Advising on corporate and non-contentious matters related to competition law;
- Advice and representation of companies on issues of consumer protection;
- Advice and representation of companies on matters of unfair competition;
- Advice and representation of companies in procedures related to unfair international competition practices such as dumping and subsidies;
- Advice and representation of companies in disputes indirectly relating to competition law, such as “popular” or class actions, and actions for annulment and restoration of rights.