Martín Carrizosa heads the competition practice at Prieto Carrizosa, which includes another three specialists who are dedicated full-time to competition matters. The group handles both behavioural and merger work, as well as working closely with the intellectual property arm of the firm.
The firm won antitrust approval from the competition authority for Johnson Controls’ joint venture with MAC in the automotive batteries market. MAC is the largest local player in the market. The team also advised Makhteshim-Agan Industries on its acquisition of certain assets from Ei Du Pont De Nemours. The antitrust group is also counsel to both Mexichem Group and Cabot Colombiana on their compliance schemes.
On the behavioural side, Prieto Carrizosa represented Centelsa, Colombia’s largest cable producer, in an investigation of alleged price fixing, which was closed with no charges against the company. The competition team is advising an energy distribution company on one of the few recent cases where the competition authority has opened an unfair competition investigation. The firm also enjoyed success representing food and chocolate beverages company Casa Luker before the Administrative Tribunal, which overturned a competition authority decision against the company. The team is now representing Oxigenos de Colombia in another appeal before the Administrative Tribunal.
Carrera 9# 74-08
Tel: +571 326 8600
Fax: +571 326 8610
The Unfair Competition and Antitrust team is composed of attorneys who have been a part of government authorities in the field and who have experience in the development of the practice under both national and Andean regulations.
Our services in this area include:
- Advice and representation in the process of business integration in the most diverse sectors of the economy.
- Representation in administrative procedures related to alleged business practices that restrict competition.
- Advising on corporate and non-contentious matters related to competition law.
- Advice and representation on issues of consumer protection.
- Advice and representation on matters of unfair competition issues.
- Representation in procedures related to unfair international competition practices such as dumping and subsidies.
- Advice and representation in disputes relating to competition law, such as “popular” or class actions for annulment and restoration of the right.